Monday, March 6, 2017

Tres Amigos

Hello everyone! I want to start this blog entry by first thanking all of you following me and reposting the link to my blog on your Facebook pages. That last entry had more visitors than any other two combined. It feels good knowing my story is being enjoyed by others. This blog has been very therapeutic for me and has allowed me an outlet to express myself... something I usually struggle in doing.

So, today I had an appointment at the Banner Cancer Clinic with my new medical oncologist. She will be overseeing the administration of the experimental drug test. Since I am entering into this medical research program, this new medical oncologist will assume the lead role in my treat program. I will continue to see the Otolaryngologist (ENT Surgeon) and the Radiation Oncologist. All three doctors are also lead professors in their medical field for the University of Arizona's medical school. The three doctors communicate on a regular basis. I have a virtual medical record that is shared between all the Banner UMC doctors, which prevents me from being the guy in the middle messing-up the message in the telephone game. I feel incredibly blessed to be in good hands.

You will all be happy to know I was successful in delivering the "package" today.

I know a lot has occurred over the last four weeks, to include the roller-coaster of prognosis. So, allow me to re-cap where we currently stand...

I had a tumor located on the bottom of my tongue biopsied. The pathology reports came back positive for Squamous Cell Carcinoma, that was found to be well-differentiated and to the muscle tissue. I also had a CT scan completed, which shows I have six lymph nodes in my neck that appear to be oversized- one with an abnormal growth and dead cells in the center. The enlarged one is most likely infected with cancer cells based on its textbook appearance. I have also been approved for a clinical study where I will receive an experimental drug that is designed to increase the production of cancer killing T cells. With this drug, I will also receive a couple other supplements and medications known to slow down and/or prevent the progression of cancer. The clinical study will begin later next week, followed by surgery. I will most likely have two surgeries. The first surgery will involve a tongue bisection and the removal of all six lymph nodes in my neck. Once healed, I will have my tonsils removed because they look suspect. Once I have healed from the surgeries, I will definitely receive radiation, with a high possibility of chemotherapy.

Many of you have reached out to ask how I am doing. All in all, I'm okay. I've accepted the cancer for what it is. I am highly optimistic my outstanding medical team will eradicate the cancer from my body. To be honest... it is not the cancer or the cancer treatment that has me worried. What I worry about the most are the small things in life we tend to take for granted.

First and foremost is my military career. On May 17th of this year, I will have reached my seventeen year mark as an active duty Airman. I am scared to death I will not be allowed to complete my full twenty. I've been told that if medically retired due to cancer, I will get my retirement, plus some. To be frank, I would much rather do my twenty years and walk into the sunset having reached my goal rather than be medically retired, regardless how much money either provides.

I am also dreading what my quality of life will look like after this is all said and done. I've been reading up on the stories of oral cancer survivors on the Cancer Survivor Network. These amazing people had fought the good fight and now they are taking the time to educate people like me on what to expect. So, here is what I can expect... Radiation will most likely burn away most of my taste buds. Some will grow back, but food will never be the same. I will also loose the desire to chew and swallow because it will forever feel uncomfortable and painful. Depending on my tongue bisection, I may or may not need speech therapy to relearn how to talk. Oral cancer has the highest rate of return than any other cancer, which means I will spend the rest of my days getting CT scans and blood work.

I love the Air Force, I love eating, and I love communicating. There are many things I love that will continue being a cherished part of my life, but I will most definitely miss these three things. To compensate, I am eating as much of my favorite foods as possible over the next couple weeks. I will most likely gain weight, but according to the doctors, I will NOT have a problem loosing it in the months to come. 

I know this entry wasn't as descriptive or entertaining as those in the past, but I really needed to express my thoughts, rather than paint a picture. I promise the next couple will be chocked full of tummy ticklers! My next appointment is not until next Thursday, but if you are lucky, I will post a shout-out while in SD.




2 comments:

  1. Well. I'm bawling my eyes out, I guess it's finally hitting me. I wish I could take this nasty cancer away from you....you don't deserve this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is begining to take shape. I am proud of the man you are and can't wait to see what God has planned for you. I'm sure he will use you in many ways. Love ya bro!

    ReplyDelete