Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Final Stand - Day 10

Hello friends and family. Today has been met with disappointment, but I know much of what I am down about is only temporary.

I woke-up this morning feeling great. No headache, no pain, and no taste. NO TASTE? Awe shoot! Well, to be honest, I have some taste sensation, but everything tastes odd and nothing like it should. I had buttered grits for breakfast, a chocolate and peanut butter protein shake for snack, and a ribeye sandwich for lunch. As the day went on, everything I ate taste less and less like it should. At the sandwich shop, I was forced to dissect my sandwich in an effort to find-out what tasted fowl. I'm pretty confident the meat is what threw my taste buds into a tizzy. In hopes of making the sandwich more palatable I began searching the restaurant for something that would boost the flavor. First I tried Tabasco sauce. That helped a little bit, but it wasn't enough. Ketchup tastes like rotten fruit now, so that was out. The cashier had offered us ranch dressing for our fries... maybe that would work. The ranch dressing worked. It provided just enough flavor to kill the nasty I was tasting.

As the day went on, I began sampling every food I crossed. Jess had cleaned some fruit for a fruit tray she was preparing for Jacee's class tomorrow. Strawberries... YUK! Grapes... sour water. As Jess prepared dinner I sampled each item. BBQ chicken... NOPE! Macaroni and cheese... DOUBLE NOPE!

Ok. Thank you for allowing me to get that our of my system. I know this is not the end of the world. We all knew it was coming. I just didn't think it would happen this soon.

On a good note... Like I said, I woke-up feeling great. I was able to get up before Jess; affording her a couple extra minutes of shut-eye. She went off to work and returned as normal to get me to my radiation treatment. The treatment went well, plus Jess and I got to visit with both Sam's family and Doug... this made me happy.

Right now I'm feeling okay. Other than the loss of taste, I am starting to feel a slight burn on my neck, but nothing that will keep me up at night. The skin is turning pink and feels a little tight today... nothing a little massage can't undo. My throat is getting dry very quickly, so my water intake has increased drastically. I got a little tired after running errands with Jess, but after an hour nap, I was feeling good again.

I'm hoping the side-effects hold off for a couple more days. I would like to enjoy the Memorial Day weekend without dealing with pain and agony. I was expecting most side-effects to hold off until week three, but it looks like I am getting them a little early. I am fortunate I am only dealing with the loss of taste and not a bunch of pain. I am really bummed about not having more time with my taste-buds, but I know it is only temporary. From this point on... I eat for sustainment and not pleasure. This will be a huge change for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment