Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Final Stand - Day 17

Good evening everyone.

Today's blog is going to be short; I'm not feeling so hot tonight and would like to hot the sack in the next hour or so.

I woke-up this morning at 4:30. I forgot about the added adrenaline in the chemo treatment, so needless to say, I didn't get the greatest night's sleep. I convinced the dogs to come downstairs with me, that was I could afford Jess a couple extra minutes of shuteye without having two dogs waking her up at THEIR scheduled time.

My throat is starting to hurt as if it were well on its way to being Strep. The dryness is increasingly annoying. I can control the moisture in my mouth using a few different rinses, but they do very little for the throat. I take a spoon full of honey multiple times a day as its supposed to sooth the dryness and pain. My neck skin is still looking good. Pink, but not burned and without pain. The tinnitus is still kicking in from time to time... I'm really hoping I do not end up with more permanent hearing loss than I already have. My headaches come and go. They are mostly mild and easily controlled with my pain meds. I had to increase my intake of anti-constipation meds today because I can tell I'm slightly backed-up. 

Jess went to work, but insisted on coming home in time to shuttle me to my appointment. She didn't want me to forgo my pain medications in an attempt to drive myself.

My appointment went well today. Jess and I met a new couple. The wife is the cancer patient. She has ovarian cancer and has been battling it since September. She is only 11 radiation treatments away from completion, which was ironic since this was my 11th treatment.

For the first time ever... the radiation treatment itself made me feel ill. I was slightly uneasy following today's appointment. I haven't been full blown nauseated, but felt it would not take much to get me to that point.

On the way home, we stopped at Sports Clips so I could have my ears lowered. I hadn't a haircut in almost two months. This would be six weeks longer than I usually go. So, I'm pleased to say, I am back in military regulations. I imagine this might be my last for another month or two...


Once home, I really felt the effects of fatigue. Jess took the kids to the pool so I could have a quiet house. I crashed in bed and took a much needed nap. When I awoke, I felt rested, yet uneasy. My appetite has escaped me, but I managed to get in some calories by drinking plenty of Ensure.

I'm hoping my body shakes the crud while I sleep tonight. I usually feel off for the first day or two following chemo, but this week was way worse than the previous two. I will most definitely up my water intake as this usually helps flush the chemo from my system quicker. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes soon enough.

A special shout-out to Jeremy for the much needed morale call!

1 comment: