Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Final Stand - Day 16

Hello Earthlings!

Today is day one of week three... and let me tell you! Today has been quite the escapade. Jess has a annual Air Force physical fitness test this morning and Connor left for a week long church camp. And to make matters more complex... I had both chemotherapy and radiation appointments today, at two different locations.

Jess and I woke-up at 5:30. We had to get ready and be out the door by 6:30 if Jess were to have enough time to drop me off at the fire department then race to the base gym where her PT test was being held.

We made it out of the house a couple minutes early. Little did we know this would become a blessing in disguise. Our normal work route was blocked by a stopped train. We had to turn around and move one exit up on the freeway in order to get on base. The time we earned by leaving early paid for the potentially costly delay.

My first appointment was 8:00. Jess dropped me off at the fire station so I could rendezvous with a fellow Master Sergent who had offered to drive me to my appointment. I was kicked to the curb, right in front of the door to the cancer center... right on time. Inside, I signed-in at the registration desk, then took my seat in the usual waiting area.

It took about 15 minutes before I was called back to give blood. The nurse who had called me bad had taken my blood before. She was pretty good... no painful, missed sticks, and no loss of blood (other than that which found its way into a vial.) Once the two vials were filled with the good stuff, the nurse bandaged me up and sent me on my way.

I headed up-stairs where I would then wait for a seat in one of the cancer treatment bays. The wait was a little longer than I would have hoped. An hour went by before my name was finally called. I knew the treatment would take at least two and half hours, which happened to be the exact amount of time before I would be expected at the radiation oncology clinic. I knew then I would be cutting it close, but I decided to test my luck before phoning over to announce my tardiness.

By the time the Cisplatin was hung, I had only an hour before I would be expected at Radiation Oncology. The Cisplatin takes exactly an hour to be delivered by a metering machine. I made the call! I let the radiation clinic know I was going to be a little late. I was informed that it might not be until 2:00 before they could squeeze me in. Jess had to have Connor at the trip by 2:45 and the drive from the hospital to the house takes 35 minutes. This day is about to get interesting.

Jess showed-up at the chemo clinic while I was still receiving my infusion. I informed her that there might be a problem. She told me not to worry... but in my gut I knew the day would only get interesting from here.

We left the chemo clinic at 12:20... my scheduled appointment time at RadOnc. The hospital was only two miles away, but lunchtime traffic made for a slow progression. I had Jess drop me off in the front hoping I could secure an acceptable time that would fit into our bust schedule.

It took Jess fifteen minutes to park. If you are guessing that she had to enter the dreadful parking structure... you would be correct. Jess and I sat there for thirty minutes before she informed me that she would need to leave. I told her to go-on and that I would attempt to catch an Uber home. So off she went. I was running solo once more!

Luckily, I had my phone, a set of headphones (a gift from a dear friend), and an internet connection. I had browsed a friend's Top 300 music album list yesterday and felt this would be a great time to research some groups I had either not heard of, or had little exposure to. It was a good thing I had something to keep my occupied, because I sat there for a good bit of time before being seen.

My zapping went well. Nothing new to report... it was quick and easy. I imagine later this week, maybe early next week, this will not be the case. The mask is very tight and I would imagine it does not feel good on burned skin. I'll count this as one of my daily blessings!

Once released from my daily intake of the sun's breath, I headed for the hospital's pick-up/drop-off area - I figured this would be a good place to request an Uber. I found a bench in the shade where I could make my request and wait. Even in the shade, it was super hot outside today. I'm very glad I decided on shorts today, as pants would have been torture.

The Uber app was acting up. Every time I attempted to request a ride, the app notified me that I needed to verify my payment method. Well... I could NOT figure out how to eradicate this problem. I added every credit card I own, plus my Apple Pay, plus my PayPal and got nothing. Every payment option came back with the same stupid message. So I did what any rational person would do in this situation... I deleted the app! I called Jess and informed her that I would need to be picked-up.

Jess was in the process of getting Connor to the church when I called. I knew this meant she would be awhile, but how could I complain? My waiting pales in comparison to the constant running around Jess has done today so that others may achieve their goals. She is extremely selfless like that... a quality I not only appreciate, but envy. I just hope she doesn't burn herself out. I do worry!

I decided it was time to eat. I had scoped out the hospital's cafeteria during my extended stay and know it to have many options for me to choose from. Once inside, I walked around analyzing my options. There was a pizza station, which I knew immediately was off limits. There was also a Subway style sandwich stand, but I was hesitant to get anything with red meat or poultry since they too hadn't set well with me in the recent past. There was a huge salad bar, but I didn't think a salad would satisfy my hunger. I needed carbs and protein!

The last two option were sushi and soup. The soup bar had Chicken Noodle and Cream of Broccoli. As good as it looked, I had to pass on the Chicken Noodle. My only worry with the Cream of Broccoli was whether or not it would taste too salty. I took a risk, knowing I have had some luck with savory dishes and green vegetables.

The sushi station was pack full of options. I knew I wanted to stick to something simple... no sauces drizzled all over... no over the top rolls packed with everything at the chefs disposal... and nothing too fishy. I saw a package of Salmon Nigiri. For the non sushi aficionado... Salmon Nigiri in a lump of white rice with a slice of raw salmon laying on top. The only other ingredient in a small dab of wasabi between the rice and the fish. This option stood out as the best possible option for two reasons. First, salmon (when fresh) has a mild, clean tasting fish which could provide me a good, untested source of protein. Two, if the fish doesn't make the cut, I can still trust that the ball of rice it is sitting on is a guaranteed win.

My attention was also drawn towards a package of edamame. I was willing to bet that as long as they weren't salted, these steamed soy beans would be a home run. Looking at the beans, I couldn't see any added salt. I grabbed those as well!

You see... I'm learning to play a new game. Normally we chose foods we like: good, tasty, succulent morsels that make out mouths water and the corners of our lips curve upwards with satisfaction. This game requires me to find foods I can tolerate. Fruits are out! As I stated earlier... red meat and poultry... out! Anything overly salty or covered in MSG... OUT! Pastas and grains are safe. The Alfredo sauce I had the other day was safe. The Ph I ate at lunch yesterday was a 50/50 win. The noodles were a hero, but the chicken was a zero.

Anyways, lunch was an overall win. All three elements (to include the raw salmon) went down with no issues what so ever. I left the cafeteria feeling full and somewhat satisfied.



Jess was only twenty minutes away by the time I finished eating. I took a look around the gift shop before finally finding my way to another bench in front of the hospital.

By the time Jess picked me up, we had about thirty minutes to get home before our new living room furniture was due to be delivered. Our old stuff was getting pretty nasty and worn out. It had seen multiple moves and the wrath of a Scottish Terrier that loves to lick the couch until its soaking wet.

Our furniture was delivered without incident around 5:00. I had just enough time to break it in with a couple episodes of M.A.S.H. before Jess had dinner ready. She made Chili-Mac, which did not meet my dead taste bud's approval. Nothing against Jess... normally I am sucker for her Chili-Mac. So... I ate Ramen noodles that were cooked in my left-over Phở broth. The noodles were fine, but I passed on slurping-up the broth (it was a bit too salty tasting).



I helped Jess clean-up the kitchen after dinner, and she rewarded me with a neck message. 

As far as my medical standing is concerned... today was a lot like yesterday. My throat continues to feel dry and scratchy. The soft tissue and gums inside my mouth continue to feel raw and sensitive to the touch. The tinnitus has come and gone half a dozen times today. It only lasts a few seconds, but very noticeable. I have a headache right now, but that is expected immediately following chemo. I expect the head-ache will following into tomorrow and probably the day after. It has taken three days to shake these head-aches following each of my first two poisonings. 

I told Jess that I could drive myself to my appointment tomorrow. I will forgo taking any pain killers so I can make the drive with a clean mind. Today was a lot for her, so manning-up through one mild head-ache seems appropriate if it means giving her a day off from playing taxi driver. 

Sorry for the extended post; today was busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment