Sunday, July 9, 2017

On the Path of Recovery - Day 12

Hello World! Welcome back to another day... another look into this crazy journey that is my life.

Today has been a day of taking chances. I woke-up feeling about the same as I did yesterday. I was still spitting into a cup, just not as much as yesterday. It seems that the mucus build-up lessens with each day.

Yesterday, I told you about the work function I want to attend tomorrow where we are getting to meet Congresswoman Martha McSally. Well, this function requires me to be in uniform. This requires me to get a haircut because I was beginning to look like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. I was worried about getting my haircut because I was still producing this spit/mucus crap. Well, I was determined, and where there is a will, there is a way. So, my initial plan was to draw-up a note to the hair stylist explaining the situation and describing what I needed done to my hair. Well, I did this, and I was pleased with the plan. Jess and I headed out for a day of errands... first stop, getting my haircut. I had to wait for forty-five minutes before it was my turn. This meant sitting in a waiting room, hold the spit in my mouth for a long time. Well... I wasn't about to do that. So, I began swallowing my spit, and would you know... it worked. It was as if everything was normal. I had my note, but didn't really need it because I was able to talk to the stylist with no problems.

After my haircut, we went to the Tucson Mall. I needed to go to REI, and Jess wanted to provide Oscar (Jess' brother whom we have custody of) an opportunity to walk through the mall. So, I went to REI to return something I had bought. I was worried earlier in the day that I wouldn't be able to make the exchange due to the mucus/spit issue, but since I had found a fix for the problem... no issues, another win.

We bought Oscar some new school cloths, so that took awhile. By the time we were done in the mall, it was a little past 5:00. I was hungry because I had missed a tube feeding. Jess and Oscar were also a little hungry.

I told Jess I would be up for a trial run at a Chinese buffet. So... we headed down the street to a place called U-Like Chinese Buffet. WELL... let me tell you. The place smelled weird... kinda like pine cleaner and propane. I thought it might have been my jacked-up senses, but Oscar confirmed it while we were eating. So... I say while "we" were eating, but all I was doing was gagging and nearly puking with every bite of food I tried. I tried MANY little samples of food, but everything still has the same bland, horrible, nasty taste. I tried a range of things to include: chicken, broccoli, mushroom, pineapple, noodles, rice, etc. EVERYTHING made me gag. I couldn't bare it.


Well... you can't fault me for giving it go. I guess I have awhile longer on the good ol' tube. Nothing but LH for me!

I didn't see any questions from anyone, but I received many kind words from many of you. The invite remains open... if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Here we are... another weekend down. Tomorrow is the first day of a new week. I excited for two reasons. First, I'm going into work tomorrow where I will see some of my colleagues. If you can't tell... I look forward to going back to work. And second, I have a follow-up appointment this week with my radiation oncologist. This is exciting because I haven't had any medical appointments lately and I'm beginning to miss it... as crazy as that sounds. It also means I'm one step closer to being done with this whole mess. I can tell you though... my doctor is not going to be happy that I've lost this much weight.

I hope everyone had a safe weekend. I wish you a great Monday and week to follow.

2 comments:

  1. Did you chew tabacco or smoke?

    I love your blog and have shared it with my neighbor who is going through chemo right now.
    Keep up the fight
    #f☠☠cancer

    John-John
    (Fred's cousin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did smoke for the better part of fifteen years... but, neither my ENT doc or medical oncologist feel this was the cause. I do not meet the normal criteria for someone who falls into this category. For one... I quite over two years ago. Two, I only smoked a half pack at most per day. And three, the length of time does not fit the bill. Now, with that said... the docs don't know what caused my cancer. I was HPV negative, so that rules out the common cause. For all we know... it could have been something I was exposed to as a firefighter. If you go WAY back to the beginning of my blog posts... you will see I believe the cancer was caused by dill pickle flavored sunflower seeds. Just kidding. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete