Monday, July 10, 2017

On the Path of Recovery - Day 13

Good evening everybody!

Boy, I'm on a high tonight! I was invited by my Fire Chief to attend the Second Annual Emergency Services Recognition Ceremony for Arizona's Second District. This is an initiative that was founded by the current Congresswoman for Arizona's Second District - Martha McSally. Anyways... our department was submitted for the Best Emergency Services Organizations... and WON! So, I was super happy for my department for winning such a awesome award. I was also extremely happy to be back in uniform. The event aside... I was really, really happy to be back among my co-workers. It has been a little over three months since I last worked. Let me tell you... I am ready to go back! I haven't missed work this bad - EVER.

Being able to put on my uniform today was so rewarding. To me, it's not just a uniform. It is a symbol of what I do for my country. It is a reminded that I am apart of something much bigger than me. And most importantly... it was a sharp reminded of who has REALLY been taking care of me since being diagnosed February 3rd of this year. Looking in the mirror, I saw the words sewn over my left breast-pocket, "U.S. Air Force." I haven't been asked to pay a single dollar for any of my dozens of medical appointments and treatments. This country... the United States of America... who owns that uniform that I am blessed to wear, has taken care of me and my family for the last five months. That is what my uniform reminded me tonight, and I couldn't be more proud of it.

So, tonight was a good night. In fact... today in general was a good day. I'm feeling better, and I can tell I'm regaining some of my energy. I'm still spitting in a cup, but I've learned how to work my way around that issue if I have to. My hair and taste-buds still need to grow back, but I have faith that day will come shortly.

It's getting really close to my bedtime, so I'm going to cut this blog short. I hope you all had a swell Monday, and I hope the best in the days to come.





1 comment: