Saturday, June 3, 2017

The Final Stand - Day 20

Happy Saturday - I hope you all were afforded some time to relax.

I woke-up this morning with all intentions of relaxing, and that is exactly what I did. I was a little slow getting out of bed this morning, but that seems to be the new norm for me. I was eventually driven out of bed via hunger, which I satisfied with a Milk Chocolate Ensure shake.

I spent most of the day either watching television or refining my feed tube skills. Since my appetite has been suppressed by the lack of taste, I have lost 7 lbs rather quickly. I wanted to make sure I spent the weekend getting into a feeding routine, which includes trying to master the art of tube feeding with a syringe. After two meals today, I think I will invest in some of the gravity feed bags because using a syringe is annoying and slightly messy. I tube fed for lunch and dinner. I used another Liquid Hope for lunch and pureed some soup for dinner. Jess had made a soup that had sausage, white beans, and spinach in it. It looked good... until I blended it into a baby food smoothie. 

I forgot to report my newest side effect. One of the expected side effects of radiation is hair loss within the effected area. Yesterday, I noticed my beard hairs were falling out. Jess was able to confirm this last night during my lymphedema treatment. While she was applying the skin ointment, small hairs were falling out, attaching themselves to her ointment covered hands. The hair loss extends to the lower portion of my hairline (in the back). Hair was falling out in the hundreds when I took a shower this evening. The hair loss wasn't enough to turn the area bald, but I imagine it will be within the next couple days. The good news is... my oncologist says this hair should grow back after treatment is over.

Aside from the hair loss, there is nothing new to report today. Aside from the walk Jess drug me on, I was pretty lazy today. Today hasn't been my best day, but it was better than yesterday. I hope tomorrow is equally relaxing.

Prayers going out to London!

No comments:

Post a Comment