Thursday, June 8, 2017

The Final Stand - Day 25

Good evening.

Wow, today has been quite the roller coaster - full of both highs and lows.

I woke-up this morning feeling great. My throat felt extremely dry and uncomfortable, but all-in-all, I really did feel good. No headache, no pains, and no flu like symptoms. For it being the second day following chemo, I felt unusually good.

Jess had an appointment on base to get the kids new ID cards, so I was able to ease into my morning without kids running around the kitchen - arguing about what to eat and who's mess is who's. I hooked myself up to a gravity feed bag this morning and enjoyed some T.V. This feeding tube thing is getting a lot easier, and to be quite frank... it is easier and quicker than having to prepare the food, eat the food, and then clean-up one's mess. Don't get me wrong... I miss the taste of food greatly. That can never be replaced. But, it is nice knowing I can find something to be optimistic about in regards to eating (if I can call it that).

Jess and I headed for my radiation appointment at the usual time. Today is Thursday which means I get to meet with my Radiation Oncologist in addition to getting zapped. On the way to my appointment, I began feeling lethargic. It could have been my meds kicking in, but I suddenly felt like I could go for a nap. By the time we reached the hospital, I was feeling great again. I don't know what changed... maybe the increased blood-pressure from dealing with the dreaded parking garage?

My appointment went okay. I entered the CT machine feeling good, but something about this radiation session made me feel a little uneasy. When I initially stepped away from the machine, I felt as though someone knocked my energy level down a couple pegs. I made it to the waiting area just in time to get called back by the nurse who would obtain my vitals and get me situated for the doctor's visit. Everything checked-out great.

When the doctor came in, he took one look at me, then stood there slightly perplexed. He asked me why I looked as good as I did. I joked and told him I was immune to his radiation treatments. He laughed as he approached me and began accessing my neck with his hands. The doc seemed quite impressed that I had not developed some of the side-effects most patients would have at this point. I asked if my youth had anything to do with it. He agreed that it could be a possibility, but assured me I still had a long way to go before I was out of the dog house. The doc reminded me that not only do I have two more weeks of treatments... I also have the two weeks following treatment where the radiation continues to do its work on my body. Wow... a month left of radiation. As we left, I promised the doc I would come-in next week looking a little more worse for wear. He laughed.

I felt completely exhausted by the end of my appointment. I felt like nodding off on the way home, and I may have for a couple moments. We didn't stop anywhere because I had another appointment at the house. A lady from the medical supply company was scheduled to stop by the house to explain the services I would be receiving and to educate me on how to use my feeding tube. Well... I figured the feeding tube out on my own, so needless to say, it was going to be a short visit.

The medical supply representative was a little late because her previous appointment ran a little long. She was very nice and informed Jess and me that I should expect my first delivery tomorrow. As I expected, the visit was quick since she didn't have to teach me anything new. I guess most of her patients are those with brand-new, unused feeding tubes, with no idea how to operate them.

I'm pretty sure I was well on my way to my room for a nap before the medical supply rep could get her car moving down our street. I crashed for all most three hours. When I woke, I still felt tired, but I also had hunger aches coming from my belly. I made my way downstairs and immediately fed myself. I used another gravity bag so I could enjoy my dinner on the couch while watching M*A*S*H. After a couple episodes, I got-up, cleaned-up, then plopped back down on the couch for some more T.V.

As the evening went on, I began feeling more and more ill. Jess suggested that I didn't get enough fluids today, and I agreed. So, I am sitting here now, discussing my day with you while getting water delivered to my stomach via another gravity bag.

I'm about to head to bed. I have a lot of mucus building-up in my throat that I will need to expel before I can sleep. This is something new. Usually, my morning mucus cleaning is all that is needed. Now it is beginning to build-up through-out the day. Thankfully tomorrow is Friday, which means I am only one day away from my weekend reprieve.



No comments:

Post a Comment