Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Final Stand - Day 28

Good evening - I hope you all had a stellar weekend.

My weekend has been filled with new challenges. This battle against cancer has entered a new phase... a phase in which the weapons used to fight cancer begin inflicting damage on both sides of the battlefield. The chemo infusions and radiation treatments are tearing through my body like a bull in a china shop.

Last night was the first time since treatments began that I go sick (threw-up). Shortly after completing my blog, I found myself having extreme stomach cramps followed by uncontrollable nausea. I have medications that help prevent nausea, but I have not been taking them since no need existed. My stomach must have been empty when I got sick because all that came out of me was bright yellow bile. And since my throat is already sore and raw from the radiation, the pain was excruciating. If you have ever been sick enough to puck bile... then you know how irritating it is on the throat. Well imagine already having sores covering the lining of your esophagus...

I woke-up today with my throat on fire. It was partially relieved by drinking some water, but I could still feel the effects of being sick. Over the course of the day, my throat feels a little better, but I fear pain is a constant until treatment is over.

The mucus build-up has been annoying. Every couple minutes I am forced to clear my airway or aspirate on the gunk. The mucus is still thin and somewhat easy to clear, but I am told it will get much thicker. When I attempt to choke the gunk up, I find myself dry heaving... on the verge of getting sick altogether. I have a very sensitive gag reflex so I imagine I will get sick often when the gunk does get thick.

My neck skin is red. It is still soft and painless, but I imagine it too will take a turn for the worst over the next week of so.

The mouth sores are getting worse. My gums are extremely raw, especially toward my back molars. It makes for brushing my teeth extremely difficult and painful. I will be force to start using my Magic Mouthwash very soon... that or avoid brushing my teeth all together.

I'm not drinking water as often as I should. I'm at least aware of this and supplementing my normal water intake through my PEG tube. It is important I keep swallowing, which is why drinking water is still important.

I know the last couple days have been filled with bad news, but please know I am still very much filled with a fighting spirit. In fact, I have been trying to occupy my mind by planning for the future.

You may recall me mentioning my dream of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. Well, I'm heeding my own words by taking the necessary steps towards achieving this goal. Hiking the PCT is no easy feat. We're talking about hiking up and down every mountain rage in California, Oregon, and Washington - from Mexico to Canada. The trail is 2,650 miles long and will take me between four and five months. It will be both physically and mentally demanding. With that being said... I have a lot of work ahead of me to prepare for such an adventure. First, I need to win this battle against cancer. Then I need to heal and recondition myself to be able to hike suck long distances. And finally, I need to make sure I know what the heck I'm doing!

So, my plan is to start small. I will begin backpacking on small trips - 2 to 3 days. Then I'll work my way up to longer trips. Eventually... in 2020, I will separate from the Air Force. Immediately following my retirement is when I plan on setting-out on this adventure.

Backpacking gear is not cheap. I have set-up a fundraiser in hopes of raising enough money to purchase everything I need to immediately pursue this dream. I appreciate any assistance provided!

https://www.gofundme.com/from-cancer-warrior-to-trail-junkie


No comments:

Post a Comment